In 2017, Kaiser Permanente, an American integrated managed care consortium, decided to add digital health and wellness to its consortium of services to support patients with mental health issues specifically.
Many mental health patients did not choose to seek treatment due to stigmas, expenses, or the intensiveness of traditional mental health services. Kaiser recognized that digital health technologies have a significant untapped potential to manage the issue. The team vetted numerous existing mental well-being applications and selected six apps that helped them to reach a broad cross-section of patients. The design team then built the interface for physicians to provide referrals of an application or selected directly by patients via pathways on the website.
Both doctors and patients reported positively about integrating these digital healthcare solutions into the care delivery approach. As a result of the success of the tools, KP is looking into working with software product engineering services, to design and introduce digital tools in its package of other chronic care management services.
Source – Biodesign
Key Trends in Digital Healthcare Industry
The recent pandemic revolutionized digital healthcare prospects. The pre-pandemic telemedicine adoption in the US was just around 11%; however it shot up to 36% in Aug 2020 as hospitals shut their doors for non-emergency services.
While 54% of US adults used telehealth services due to their low cost, it has gained much traction because of the enhanced accessibility and value-based care models. Digital healthcare has now become a reliable option. The digital healthcare companies market size, which was about USD 195 billion in 2021 is set to showcase a CAGR of more than 16% from 2022 to 2030.
It is believed that the share of digital healthcare will rise at a growth rate of more than 12% through 2022-2030. A major cause behind the escalation in the digital healthcare platform is the high prevalence of chronic conditions. Simultaneously awareness about the benefits of chronic care management apps has been rising steadily, manufacturing a robust outlook of the industry.
How are Digital Healthcare Solutions Reducing Bottlenecks in Chronic Care Management?
Patients expect the best medical care experience at an affordable price point. Digital healthcare models such as telemedicine enhance accessibility and convenience. Moreover, only relying on manual care mechanisms is a limited time and resources problem.
Adding software product engineering solutions can help clinics to help patients with much better diagnosis, treatment, and care.
This is how digital services are moving over the challenges present in traditional healthcare –
- Remote patient monitoring:
- Chronic diseases are becoming more common very rapidly. This is increasing the strain on the available resources. Remote monitoring is a tool that allows connectivity between patients and clinics, and hospitals.
- Since health issues are primarily sporadic and otherwise the visits are scheduled weekly, monthly, or on a yearly basis, adjusting treatments becomes a challenge. Remote Monitoring bridges this gap by introducing a virtual interface to connect on need bases from any location.
- Better Care Delivery:
- It is not reasonably possible to dedicate staff to monitoring a patient at all times. However, with the help of digital technologies, care teams can track health conditions from far off. Also, they can teach the patients to keep track of their condition with the assistance of the platforms provided in their care plan without adding to the care team’s workload.
- Such automated chronic care management program software can help better meet the patient’s expectations and improve the outcomes of treating chronic conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, and congestive heart failure.
- Personalized Communication:
- Managing the treatment of a chronic condition can be very difficult for patients. Lifestyle modifications and medications can be overwhelming, especially when patients are illiterate.
- Basic text-based communications using easy-to-understand language, patients can be automatically reminded of their medication or other health updates. Similarly, it can also report issues so that the medical staff is alerted if a severe intervention is required.
Digital healthcare platforms empower patients to engage on their terms and revisit the information whenever required. It ensures that the patients suffering from a chronic condition receive the intervention at the right time.
Building such health platforms is a mammoth task that can only be handled by experienced professional software product engineering companies such as Tntra. Tntra’s engineering capabilities ensure that medical professionals can provide the best possible assistance to patients. health
Healthcare applications, such as those built by Tntra healthcare developers, can help healthcare firms to fill the gaps and deliver better patient care.